The one cause to sponsor me for — GRID Alternatives Solarthon
May 3, 2012 by Rosana Francescato
We all get many requests for donations to causes, and there are so many good ones out there. Just recently, I’ve donated to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, to a bonobo sanctuary in the Congo, and to Narrative Magazine.
What do all those, and every other cause, have in common? None of them will continue to exist if we destroy the earth.
This may sound dire and insurmountable, but it turns out there are things each of us can do to help preserve our planet. And some of those are even easy, simple things.
That’s why I choose to give most of my volunteer time and charitable donations to GRID Alternatives. Through the simple act of installing solar electric systems for low-income families, GRID accomplishes so much more:
- An average GRID solar installation saves a family $28,000 over its lifetime and prevents 95 tons of greenhouse gas emissions, equivalent to planting 272 trees.
- To date, GRID has installed solar for over 1,800 low-income families, providing 5.1 megawatts of power. That prevents nearly 160,000 tons of greenhouse gas emissions and is the equivalent of planting nearly 460,000 trees.
- GRID provides training for people who need hands-on experience to get into the solar industry.
- GRID’s installations spread awareness of solar and show that solar can be practical and affordable.
- All of this helps improve the environment, the economy, public health, national security, and global politics — which helps you, too!
So, want to get a lot of bang for your buck, while helping to do all of the above? As you probably know by now, each year GRID holds a “solar barn-raising,” the Solarthon, at which volunteers help install solar on homes in a low-income neighborhood. This year, I’ll be participating in the Bay Area Solarthon on July 21, and I’m asking for your help in sponsoring me.
Just click here to sponsor me – any amount helps:
Thanks again to all of you loyal supporters who sponsored me for last year’s Solarthon! To read about that inspiring day, see my blog post.
I realize these are tough times for many people, so no pressure at all — but if you can give, I greatly appreciate it!
Thanks so much for your support!
Leave a Reply
Theme: MistyLook by Sadish.